September 22, 2010

Dirt under my fingernails

I spent some time hand-stitching curtains the other day. It was a nice head-clearing experience, a rare quiet moment of musing for me, now that I have three children. I am still in a head-haze most of the time, even though my three month old sleeps through the night more times than not... I still need some more time to recoup all that lost sleep, I suppose.

But as I stitched away with my mother's... (augh, what's that metal thing you put on your finger??? there's the brain fog for you!), thinking of course of my grandmother, and wondering about her life, and her mother's life... I considered that hand stitching is to a sewing machine as bread-making is to a bread maker; as manual gardening is to a roto-tiller. There is great delight in working with your hands... I love that feeling! I am certainly not a gardener (yet), I am just beginning to bake bread (insert having a baby here), but I do love to sew. It has been my saving grace, my go-to creative outlet for the year. It is keeping me sane. I think God made us to find satisfaction and joy in these exercises, essential to our ancestors' livelihood. Each of these modern-day "hobbies" seem to be making a resurgence. This brings me joy and hope for my daughter and her daughter! I very much intend to instill these things into future generations. Mark my words, one day I will teach sewing classes!

Perhaps soon I will post some of my handiwork. :)

Oh my, I just realized I have 30 minutes to feed the baby and get the boys ready and get out the door.
Hope to be back soon...

No comments: