October 06, 2008

It means "Not Good"

Anyone ever seen Christmas in Connecticut? It's a Springer favorite. Uncle Felix asks what calamity means (or maybe it's disaster?), and the reply is filled with more unknown vocab. In the end he says, "is good, right?"  "No, uncle Felix, it's bad, very bad."

Calamity seems like a good word to describe the financial crisis that has suddenly exploded its yuckiness all over us. The news can be overwhelming. I was just watching and my heart became so sad, because the more that is uncovered, the more we see the root of it is the greed of the lending company executives. I personally believe their actions are criminal. We are seeing with our own eyes the fruit of greed, and it is disgusting.
Prov 11:6 The righteousness of the upright  will deliver them, But the treacherous  will be caught by their own greed 01942.

Ps 52:7   Behold, the man who would not make God his refuge, But trusted in the abundance of his riches, and was strong in his evil desire. 

I find myself crying out for mercy for the huge mess that has ensued upon everyone. Mercy, that God would separate the accountable from the unaccountable. Hope and safety for the righteous. And then I am reminded that the Lord does extend grace, that He is our haven in the midst of the destruction. No evil is too great that His wings cannot keep us well. 

Ps 57:1  Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious to me, For my soul takes refuge in You; and in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge until destruction passes by.  (same word for greed and evil desire, above)

And then I find in Proverbs the ultimate comfort:

I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me.
Pro 8:18  "Riches and honor are with me, Enduring wealth and righteousness.
Pro 8:19  
"My fruit is better than gold, even pure gold, And my yield {better} than choicest silver.
Pro 8:20  "I walk in the way of righteousness, In the midst of the paths of justice,
Pro 8:21  To endow those who love me with wealth, That I may fill their treasuries.
Thank you Lord, that Your values are higher than ours - money is not King in the Kingdom. His truth and love are! His treasures are the ultimate gift! At the end, it doesn't matter how much is in our 401(k) and 529s. I know God will keep us safe, and His version of safe is the best. And he will do it for my children too. He will provide. He will bring peace and prosperity. He will bless.

In Jesus' name, I proclaim love and assurance over all the fearful hearts across the land. May your peace flood out the worries of the world. May money and possessions be wiped off the throne, and in its place be put faith, trust, righteousness, and all the values of the Father. 

1 comment:

esther said...

catastrophe. it's from the greek, it means not good.