July 30, 2008

Core Value: Beauty


Yes, I must add this one. I haven't quite put my life purpose into a sentence, but I know it has something to do with family, friendship, and making things beautiful. I just love being surrounded by beautiful things. It does something inside me to behold beauty. I feel full and clear and rich and deep. I am constantly thinking of ways to make a room or arrangement or item (or person- that one is tricky!) more beautiful. When I am at my calmest, divinest state inside, visions of beauty flash across my screen - flower arrangements, fabrics, paintings, dresses, symphonies, dances, things I could never even describe, much less bring to fruition. 

Beauty is created, recreated, and loved by the Lord. Solomon's temple was built by master craftsmen with explicit directions from God. Reading those instructions and all the labor and precision He required is unbelievable, and the only way I can reason it is that God really wanted His house to be beautiful! 

He made us and everything around us - can you think of anything more beautiful than your baby's eyes, or a Monarch butterfly, or an hydrangea? All painted by our Master Artist. He gives us a crown of beauty and calls us His bride. I love calling Him beautiful, too. Ps 96 says that strength and beauty are in His sanctuary. Here's another one:

One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in His temple.  (Ps 27:4)

That deserves a Selah.


1 comment:

Lori said...

I think I'll go to bed on this post. It makes me breathe deeply, look up, take notice of the beautiful dried flowers from my wedding nearly nine years ago, and think about my dear friend who blesses me by showing me how beautiful my world is. I love you, Rachel.