What a wonderful day - weekend, really - this has been. My amazing husband has cooked or taken me out for every meal - and washed the dishes! This morning he made an amazing lunch for me and his mother - steelhead trout, J.Alexander's orzo, Houston's lime-cilantro vinaegrette (never know that spelling!), and Houston's cheese bread. Delicious. I feel like a queen, I told him; I've hardly lifted a finger all weekend! I like this whole Mother's Day thing.
I started reading a book for pleasure this weekend too - Widow of the South. I'll be at a luncheon with the author on Fri. so I hope to at least make a dent in this historical fiction piece. So far it is fascinating. It stirs me to do more research about our not-so-little town that was once dotted with "plain grey-roofed houses" and woodland and farmland as far as you could see. I love historical research. In another life I would do it all day long, and write novels like Robert Hicks.
In this life, however, I am wearing the weight of motherhood a little lighter this week than the last several. I had lunch with Kristine, one of my heroes, who made the whole hour all about me, and after listening gave me three assignments: don't be so hard on myself, look in the mirror every day and tell myself I'm doing a good job, and choose quality time with my children over housework any day - without guilt! What a relief. She even sent me a Mother's Day card reminding me that my house will one day burn but my children are eternal. A good dose of perspective can lighten any load. I love you, Kristine!
The lunch was perfectly followed by a visit from my wonderful Mother, who said the same thing. "Just don't worry about the house, honey!" Since then, I haven't worried a bit... and felt so free... and do you know, my house probably looks exactly the same to any one else?! Well, there may be a few more dishes in the sink, but honestly, why should house-keeping be so stressful???
2 comments:
Amen to that Rachel! I am on the same journey!! It can be so difficult to "measure" what we do in a day in this job!! but it is not about that - I am having to learn to release myself from the need to "achieve" and to "get tangible recognition" for what i do all day!!! and just "be" with my kids. now that Ruby is 5 (it has gone so quickly in the scheme of things) I am realising that she is growing up and those precious moments of babyhood are fading in my mind! I want to savor them with my baby now and finally can (sometimes!!!). Be kind to yourself Rachel - you are doing so great and your boys are delightful!
I miss you
Andrea
It's to good to hear your "voice" again and to know that JOY is all over it!!! YES and AMEN to enJOYing our babies and letting the house wait . . . and wait . . . and wait. Here's to playing outside where the messes don't have to be cleaned up! :0)
Post a Comment