February 24, 2009

The gift of Me Time


My husband's Christmas present to me was a trip to DC to visit my sisters. I cried when I opened the gift and cried again when I departed BWI last weekend. (Come to think of it, I don't think I cried in between.) It was a delightful trip except for a nasty illness that finally took me down the last day. We got our own private cake-decorating lesson, met friends, went to a movie, a trendy Thai place, shopping, a French bakery, an Old Town Alexandria coffee shop - and of course Banana Republic. My last visit was 3.5 years ago when I was pregnant with Cas, and nauseous half the time. We savored every moment together and it was so good for me to get to be a part of their lives there. We watched girly movies and talked and prayed and cooked and played with sweet Lucy the cocka-poo. 

The trip was a two-fold luxury for me, not only getting to be with my sisters, but having a break from the world of mom-ness, which had over-grown my mind and body a bit too much. In other words, I was in desperate need of a break!!!!

It was so amazing - when we pulled into a parking space, I opened the door and got out of the car and started walking, and that was that! When dinner time came, I sat there and ate my own food, and that was that! I caught myself scarfing food down, and then wondering why. I didn't realize what a speed-eater I have become, grabbing bites in between wiping mouths, giving and cutting bites for the boys. I did not change a diaper for 3 whole days. My purse did not have diapers or other child-related paraphernalia in it, which therefore made its presence optional. I could hear myself think, and finish sentences, and have intelligent conversations. When we decided to go somewhere or do something, we just did it. No figuring in nap times or bed times. Oh, and all I had to do was get myself ready and walk out the door!

I savored every moment of this mini-break and returned home full and happy, albeit with the worst cough ever. I missed my boys and we have had a great week together since. I really do feel different inside.

So a grand thank you, dear husband, for taking on the load for the weekend and giving me such an amazing gift. (Can we make this a recurring thing?) I think we are all better for it.


Had to throw a couple new pics in here too - Cas made this play-dough creation completely on his own. I opened the cans and that's it! He was very proud. And while Cas is the one potty-training, Jake the show-off has the greater fascination with the 'small potty.'

P1010689.JPG

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thrilled to get to see the pictures you posted on FB. I thought of you a lot while you were with your sisters. I love hearing about your relationship with them and how much fun you have together. You're amazing, Rachel.

Suz said...

Love this Rachel! It's amazing how time away from the wee ones refreshes the mind. I don't think absence makes the heart fonder i think absence makes deep breaths and silence...doable! So glad you got to get away!! You're are awesome!!

Suz said...

Love this Rachel! It's amazing how time away from the wee ones refreshes the mind. I don't think absence makes the heart fonder i think absence makes deep breaths and silence...doable! So glad you got to get away!! You're are awesome!!