
"The secret things belong to the LORD our God…” -Deu 29:29
Now that I am into my thirties, life seems to be seriously messy. I weekly encounter new levels of mess (not unlike the ones I wipe off my floors or my kid’s behinds). The more trouble and heartache I see in the world and in those I love, the more questions I have for the Lord.
Recently after a friend shared her pain with me, I began thinking about secrets. I have been taught that secrets are bad – that they are devilish little things in the dark that separate you from God, often covered in shame. This is absolutely true. I love seeing those secrets exposed as lies from the darkest place, and replacing them with the Truth and the Light of Jesus. But I now think that not all secrets are this kind. There are places in each one of us that no one knows but God that He treasures and holds dear, and does not wish to expose. (He IS all about healing wounds and restoring things that have been lost, in His timing. But I don’t think He wants those places to be laid bare to anyone.)
My point is this: If He knows everything, then our secrets are His secrets. They are one of His most precious possessions. In the secret places are the deepest parts of who we are – what we experience, believe, hope, fear and love. And surely those places are guarded by the One who knows the number of hairs on our heads!
Psa 27:5 For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle; In the secret place of His tent He will hide me; He will lift me up on a rock.
Psa 31:20 You hide them in the secret place of Your presence from the conspiracies of man; You keep them secretly in a shelter from the strife of tongues.
Not only that, but He has His own secrets and new things that He delights to give us:
Psa 25:14 The secret of the LORD is for those who fear Him, And He will make them know His covenant.
Isa 45:3 "I will give you the treasures of darkness And hidden wealth of secret places, So that you may know that it is I, The LORD, the God of Israel, who calls you by your name.”
So our secrets are His, and His are ours. We get to share that with Him, and since He knows, then its power to isolate us from others is broken. We are never alone. He shares all of our joys and sufferings. Thank You Jesus!!! You are so amazing.
Upon further research I found this word for secret, “sode” (Strongs 5475), that is unbelievable. It is the word we call divan – yes, the pillow/bench/couch type furnishing– as in the cushions laid upon during dinner in ancient times. Divan, circle of familiar friends, council, counsel, familiar conversation, intimacy, company, secret counsel.
LOADED.
Some references for “sode”:
Job 29:4 As I was in the prime of my days, When the friendship 05475 of God was over my tent...
Psa 55:14 We who had sweet fellowship together Walked in the house of God in the throng .
Job 15:8 "Do you hear the secret counsel of God, And limit wisdom to yourself?
Pro 3:32 For the devious are an abomination to the LORD; But He is intimate with the upright.
Pro 11:13 He who goes about as a talebearer reveals secrets, But he who is trustworthy conceals a matter.
Pro 15:22 Without consultation, plans are frustrated , But with many counselors they succeed.
Amo 3:7 Surely the Lord GOD does nothing Unless He reveals His secret counsel To His servants the prophets.
The root of this word means to sit close together, to found, fix, establish, lay the foundation.
I am just beginning to unpack all this! My first attempt:
secret = intimacy and friendship
intimacy = trust
trust = giving and receiving good advice
This is my kind of word! I have this picture in my head of Jesus reclining with His disciples over fruit and meat and wine and bread (with really good olive oil for dipping), and the Father and Holy Spirit hanging out too, late into the night. They are hashing out the day's events, asking questions, making jokes, figuring out what to do next, sharing the deepest part of their hearts, talking about their kids and their businesses, and who knows what else! The room is thick with life and love and hope, and they all know each would give his life for any other. And one by one, each disciple gets his own time with the Savior. They try to tell Him, but they know He knows everything. In the end no words are needed. They just soak in His presence.
Perhaps in some way, all this is what Secret means to God. It now means that to me.
1 comment:
Rach- Thank you so much for the clothes you sent over with Isa. What a huge blessing. We really needed little boy clothes. You're the best!
Post a Comment