July 12, 2007

why I write


"Therefore every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a head of a household, who brings out of his treasure things new and old." --Matthew 13:52



This is one of my favorite verses, and I'm not even sure why... except that my spirit somehow resounds with being a scribe. In Jesus' time scribes were like paralegals/copy machines; they wrote copies of the scriptures and important documents and kept all the details straight in the record books, both in the temple and in the city. It was probably an unseen job, but very important for their work to be excellent. I can certainly relate to that!

It's such an amazing word picture - a head of the household going into his storeroom and bringing out an old wooden carved box his greatgrandfather made, telling the kids the story behind it, then opening it up and giving each child their own little box in which to store treasures.

My hope is that having this blog will motivate me to write, which is something I know I should be doing, and is a great outlet for me to straighten out my thoughts and feel creative. I hope each reader will be enouraged and inspired... or at least get to know me a little better. Thanks for being my sounding boards!

5 comments:

mary s. said...

Ok, I think I just figured out how to post a comment... sans Esther's help!!!

mary s. said...

Rachel, your thoughts are so beautiful. You have a gift for expressing yourself in words that is priceless. I love hearing your heart! p.s.- how about some more pictures of Cas on here???

Lori said...

Yippee!!! You did it! It's so awesome to see your thoughts on virtual paper. Hee hee. Did you know that you, Shyla, Patti, and I have the same background? Crazy. I love you, Mama Rach. Keep up the momentum. This is great stuff!

Lori said...

I have checked your blog every day since you started it. Where are you???

mary s. said...

Good question, Lori. My thoughts exactly. Rach, come back!